Many people, especially grandparents and other part-time caregivers, are turned by prefolds because they don't understand how to make them fit the baby. There are a few different approaches to putting on prefold diapers, and I've tried several. Of the methods I've tried, this one gives the slimmest fit and most protection against dirty diaper blowouts. I've leakage problems with other fold styles, but the only time I've ever had a mess with this one is when he decided to go for round two during the diaper change!
Folding prefolds with a fastener
1) Lay the cloth diaper flat under the baby with the top edge at the desired waist height.
2) Fold the portion in front of the baby in thirds so that the hugs baby's bottom snugly.
3) Lift the folded part over the baby's front.
4) Fan open the top of the diaper over your little one's belly.
5) Fold down if there is too much excess cloth at the top. If it's a little too high, you can tuck it down under the diaper cover.
6) Fasten with pins or Snappi if desired.
7) Put on the diaper cover. Make sure all the diaper is tucked inside the cover or you'll end up with leaks.
It looks like a lot of steps, but it goes quickly once you've done it!
Folding prefolds without a fastener
It's easier to lay the cloth diaper and cover under the baby at the same time if you aren't using a pin. Make sure the edges are even before you place them under baby's bottom (refer to picture #2 above) and follow the same steps as outlined above.